The Seth Thomas Clock Company was organized as a corporation on May 3, 1853 in Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut (later to become Thomaston) to succeed the earlier clock-making operation of the founder.
Between 18 Seth Thomas manufactured a line of jeweled pocket watches.
Most of the tooling for the watch factory was built using the production facilities of the Seth Thomas clock factory.
He was apprenticed to a joiner, Daniel Tuttle, at the age of 14.
After finishing his training, he bought 42 acres of land in Wolcott, intending to settle there.
“That our business has throughout half a century steadily increased from a small beginning to its present dimensions, is sufficient evidence of the quality of our work.
No pains will be spared to maintain and increase the reputation of the “SETH THOMAS CLOCKS,” and we give our warrant to the full amount of the cost, that every clock that leaves our factory, if properly used, will prove a good Time Keeper.
Seth Thomas may not have been the most important man when it comes to clock innovations and design but Seth Thomas was one of, what we might consider, the founding fathers of the clock manufacturing boom that occurred in the United States in the early 1800’s.
In 1865 Seth Thomas’s Sons & Company was formed as a joint stock corporation, to manufacture high grade pendulum movements and French imitation movements.
This new factory was only a couple of miles away from Eli Terry’s new clock factory.
Around 1818, Thomas began making Terry’s wooden movement pillar and scroll clocks, paying a $.50 royalty to Terry for each clock made.
Three years later on December 4, 1813, Thomas sold out to Hoadley for 00 and purchased another clock factory from Herman Clark.